<$BlogRSDUrl$>

10.17.2002

FASHION - Turn to the left, FASHION - Turn to the right

How one presents themselves is key. I believe it is the number one way in which a person states who they are as a person. Regardless of budget, there are do's and dont's kids. And remember even the "experts" make mistake. The goal is to learn from them.

Most of us really don't put much thought about what we wear until the High School years. There are a few who pick it up earlier, but i write that off to pushy mothers, or older siblings. It's not until you get to shop for yourself, unobserved that you are really working outside the influence of others. For me High School, was pretty much an attempt to not draw too much attention to myself, but not look like a total twit in the process. Sadly, High school for me occurred in the years 1983-1987, so you can guess what kinds of horrid couture I lavished upon myself. Some of the fashion faux pas I was guilty of during this period include - Striped Jeans, Acid Washed Jeans, and "pegging" the cuffs of my jeans. None of these things are a particularly good move, and the only thing that saved me was the hordes of other oblivious teens following in lock step with those trends. The Real damnation came in that moment-in-time we call the Senior Picture. By the summer of 1986, I had decided that my straight as a pin hair looked better propped up with various viscous styling products, and that my eyeglasses, which have been a staple of my existance since i was 6, should be roundish, metal-framed, and tinted. That's a pretty good look we've got going already, and we haven't picked out a suit yet. Off to Jeans West! NOTE: Never buy a suit from a store that emphasizes denim in it's name. I went for a sweet double breasted job, in some unnatural purplish hue, and topped it off with the requisite skinny tie. Lucky that I should catch the end of that revival eh? At least it wasn't leather, as more than a few of my classmates opted for. But it was pink, so a major reduction on points there. If you were to look at the resulting picture, you might say, as more than a few suggested, that i resembled Ric Okasic - lead singer of The Cars. You would be right too. Luckily, High School was not the end-all be all of how I defined myself as a person, but there were more mistakes to be made.

Entering College, which is an opus in itself, I was dabbling with some more horrid trends. Anyone Remember the Bugle Boy Trend? Cargo Pants, weird ass shirts with odd panels sewn on them for no apparent reason, and a pair of Bass Loafers. Oh yeah, thank god that trend didn't continue too long. In fact I think the Loafers are the only part of the ensemble that doesn't make me wretch thinking of it.

College for me breaks down into two components. Commuting, and Living on my own. This is where the reality of having to finance a lot more than my pizza intake came into play, and actually I think my fashion sense was for the most part improved by it. Thrift Store became my almost exclusive outlet for clothing, save Levi's Jeans which have been and will remain the only denim I put on my heiney. And I could never understand the need to have jeans alread broken in, There is something to making denim fit you like a glove, but I digress. It is during this time that I adapted myself to the "retro cool" look that swept all involved with college radio, or working in record stores. Chuck Taylor low tops, or Doc Martens, short sleve button down shirts (mostly rayon or some other synthetic), and for me lots and lots of old Izod Sweaters - I was sort of Gen X's answer to Mr. Rogers - "Can you say Kamakazi shot? I knew you could."

This look carried me through the bulk of my twenties, as I was a destitute graduate / grad student for most of that time. Several bouts with unemployment also helped keep me browsing the thrift scene as well.

Eventually all good things come to an end, and lucky for me good turned to better. With Marriage and relocation to New Mexico came gainful employment and a real disposable income. A chance to buy clothing at retail! An opportunity to redefine my style. I still favor my Levi's as my day to day leggings, due to the casual enviorns of working on a college Campus, but when called upon to work a more "professional" look, I make the 2 hour drive into Albuquerque and hit The Men's Warehouse. The selection is good, the price is competitive, and for me at least, the service is second to none. Camel Hair Sportcoats, Wool Suits, and silk T-shirts are now major players in the wardrobe. I will say this though, try and have an idea of what you want, or you will walk out with too much. Don't be afraid to be specific in your desires. It took some time, but I was finally able to convince the staff, that no matter how "timeless" it may be, I was never going to put on a Navy Blue suit or blazer. Black is the new Black I say, and have kept my color selections in the black, grey, and tan tones aside from dress shirts and ties, where a little flair is a good thing. Burke knows a thing or two about fashion as well, and was actually ahead of the curve by quite a bit. Hell he's still the only guy I know who can pull off "Dress Sandals". And I find that it really is true - It's better to look good than to feel good. Usually looking good is all it takes to feel better.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?