<$BlogRSDUrl$>

10.20.2002

NEW TOYS

So if you have a TV set and a pulse, you have no doubt witnessed the "phenomenon" that is Apple Computer's "Switch" campaign. Ordinary folks standing in fromt of a white background relating how the Windows PC's of their past infuriated them, and how now is all bliss thanks to the purchase of a Macintosh computer with OS X.

Thats a load of bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I like Macs, and I think OS X is probablt the most significant advance in a desktop operating system since, well since the original Mac OS really. BeOS was cool, and I actually owned a Commodore Amiga, which was so ahead of its time it was doomed to fail like it did, but this OS X is gonna catch on I think.

Problem is, That PC's are what we are used to for the most part. Unless you are into Audio, Video, or Graphic arts/Publishing, chances are a Wintel box is the norm, and you have finally come to grips with it. If you can read, and don't expect machines to think on their own, chances are your PC does just fine. In fact I've got 2 PC's networked in the house, and I love em, no chance of me trashing them anytime soon.

Still The "Switch" is on.

A co-worker made the 2 hour drive to Albuquerque for a weekend of geek heaven. The Bently's auction. Where places like Los Alamos Labs, and Sandia Labs surplus off their old equiptment. I asked him to try and pick me up a very specific item, and lo and behold he came through. I am now the proud owner of my first Mac. A pretty Blue and White G3 350mhz job, that accorfing to the diagnostics run on it, shares the same build date as my wife's birthday - weird, and cool, and utterly meaningless. I still have to get it up and running. Places like Los Alamos, and Sandia, don't really want you getting any of their data, so they strip all the hard drives out and destroy them. Pretty good idea really, because as any good computer forensic expert will tell you, even deletet data can be recovered by those in the know. So I eagerly await the parts from Macmall, and am no lustily looking for good deals on digital video cameras. See, I actually have a degree in production, that I have practically never put to use, and I thought this new Mac would make the basis for a fine editing station. Perhaps, If I actually start doing something decent, I'll treat myself to a copy of Final Cut Pro - its way spensive for messing around with, but like I say, I'm hoping for some creative success with this little venture.

I'll let you know when I get my trip to Sundance lined up.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?