<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.12.2002

ADULT LEARNERS

I like to think that most people fit the definition of "Life Long Learners", that is they are always expanding their knowledge and understanding of various topics of interest, be it for personal or proffessional gain.

Then there are ADULT LEARNERS.

This is, in my opinion, Colleges answer to "Special Class" as a group these are some of the most infuriating, whiny, demanding group of students you will ever encounter. This is saying a lot, seeing as how today's breed of college student is more likely to launch a protest over parking spaces, than any globaly relevant issue. My first encounter with the Adult Learner was when I attended CCAC, after having uncerimoniously been evicted from Pitt, for, ahem, -not applying myslef. (Well not applying myself to anything but playing 9 Ball in the Union anyway) The Adult Learner on the surface is a Nobel Creature. They are well beyond their primary schooling years, and have for varying reasons decided to tackle the University Enviornment, in most cases as a response to economic emancipation. I laud them on their efforts. However, certain common traits have been observed by me about them over the years - At CCAC, at Duquesne University where I received my B.A., and M.S. degrees, and most recently at my current place of employ, which most resembles a Community College in structure. Here are the dominant beliefs of the ADULT LEARNER

My "Life Experience" should;
a. compensate for my inability to meet a deadline
b. automatically give me better favor with the instructor
c. Make me infallible on almost any topic

I'll break it down further. I appreciate the dificulty that must come with making a radical life change, hell I've done it myself. Let me tell you, going from living with the parents in comfortable middle-class land, to being debt riddled, and working part time as a Janitor (with a degree - no less), just to make ends meet is a shock nobody can prepare you for. Rub dirt in it. Life aint fair, and if you want to eat, you will have to find a way to pay for the ramen.

I appreciate that to move from laborer to academic is an equally uncomfortable situation for many. But to tell me that digging ditches give you any insight into corporate script writing, or statistics is laughable. Admidt that you need to build a new skill set. shut up and take lots of notes. I don't care about your past unless it is RELEVANT!

Oh yes one more thing, just cause you raised/are raising a child, does not give you a fucking Psych degree, does not excuse you from your respnsibilities of doing the work on the same schedule as everyone else, does not mean you can modify the assignment to suit your whims, does not mean the instructor must cater to your other respnsibilities. Lots of students have other responsibilities too, just cause yours happens to make a mess in it's pants is not anyone else's problem but yours. I adapting to the rigors of a University education requires too much adaptation by the institution, you really need to look elsewhere for enlightenment, because when all is said and done, it's not their fucking problem.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?