<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.08.2002

CONTRADICTORY POSITIONS

I have never put myself up as the posterboy for overtime. The fact of the matter is, that I believe that people who willingly work overtime with no compensation, on a regular basis (i'm talking several times a week, every week, kinda foks) really fuck up the workplace for the rest of us who like to go home. Home after all, is the only reason I have a job in the first place - so i can pay for my home and all the stuff in it. Still Found myself in an 11 hour marathon yesterday, no lunch, and a few smoke breaks to keep me going. It was for a good cause. I was helping one of our faculty members prepare her electronic portfolio for tenure review. See I guess, not so long ago, you pretty much had to put together a shitload of paperwork, organize it into a big three ring binder, and then make like 7 copies of it. Kinda silly to do it that way these days when you have the power of cheap cd-burners, and adobe acrobat software. Throw an HTML front end on to it, to give it some continuity, and bingo! a sweet presentation. As an added flourish, I set the CD up so it would autorun - further idiot proofing the experience.

Now here's the ironic part - it almost didn't happen. See this instructor is a teacher in the Bus. Technology department. - Computer Science, and various other PC related subjects. She was originally told that she could not do an electronic portfolio. If you follow this blog with any regularity, you know I've been to a few national conferences this year. ALL anyone talks about at these things is ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIOS - Hello!? One more way Gallup sits in the stone ages, because of short sighted morons, who want to pretty much make decisions based on the fact that they can - power for its own sake, i'd say.

As an aside, I later foundout that the mandate came from a professor on campus who's primary computer is an Apple IIe - I shit you not.

Well luckily, our protagonist in this struggle did what anyone would do in this situation, she went over his head for approval, and got it. I like to think that people can work out differences and come to reasonable compromises, but sometimes you really need to fuck people over.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?