<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.05.2002

OUT FROM UNDER A ROCK

Well, dear reader(s), seems I got myself into quite the technical quandry last week. Our campus library server (which is running NT 4.0, sp6 and IIS 4 for those of you who need the gory details), tanked. It started out as an innocent database connectivity problem, but upon reboot, I was greeted with the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. To add to the mirth, it added in a nice indecipherable memory dump message, just to remind me of howlittle I know about computers when all is said and done. After several almosts, and a couple of maybes, Burley Mike and I got it up and running again. Seems that there was a combined problem of a dead hard drive and a very tempermental RAID controller. Which means that we spent much of our time trying to fix things that were not broken in the first pace. Oh how I long for the days of pen and paper.

That in a nutshell is why you have not seen a post on this site in a while. Oh, I did write one yesterday, but apparently when blogger tells you it updated, it aint always so...

Dave has me all a tizzy over his new setup at work. A G4 with dual processors and dual 21" monitors - very tasty. ALl the more appropriate that i ran accross this, which made me think of Dave immediately, and not because of the Mac reference either.

Did I mention I hit the "Rolling Rock" B-day this past sunday? for those not aquainted with Latrobe's second most famous export, next to Arnold Palmer, Rolling Rock Beer has the number 33 on it's bottles, for no apparent reason other than to make drunk people wonder about one more useless bit of trivia. 33 years old. I have to say I'm pretty nonplussed over this one, partly because there was nobody around to give me a hard time about it, and partly because this weekend was pretty much like every other weekend in Gallup, which is to say quiet, and football filled. Mikey called me from Boston, though, and that was a very good thing indeed. I haven't seen him in quite some time. He's in the home stretch of getting a PHD in Psychology, and that's some crazy shit I tell you. He says that he is in the planning stages of a long, and much needed vacation, and Gallup is on the list of potential destinations. It will be great to have him out should it all pan out. He's the smartest fucker I know, plays a mean guitar, and has a great sense of humor and humility.

I'm rambling again, I need to cut that shit out. OK one more thing, I now have all three machines at the house networked, and im now in the process of learning all the command line trickery of OS X. And apps I need to get me some apps for that puppy. iTunes is way cool, but I kind of cant see just using it as a jukebox - seems a bit like overkill to me.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?