<$BlogRSDUrl$>

12.09.2002

WINTER

Yep. It's here all right. Ann popped into the computer room saturday night to let me know that we were getting legitimate snowfall. I broke from my shenanigans for a moment to verify the report and indeed a couple of inches were in place already. I made a crack about the population's inability to cope with something as basic as precipitation, stating that most everyone in Gallup was at that moment panicking, checking on their supplies of milk and bread, and hoping that they did not need to venture out of doors - bunch of pantywaists if you ask me.

See here's the thing. I'm no lover of the white stuff, mainly because since i seem to lack anything coming close to a circulatory system, I tend to model myself after reptiles. Basking is a particularly fond hobby of mine in fact. Being Lazy and warm are cheif among my favorite things. That said, I have never had any difficulty getting around in inclement weather. I have faced a number of truly horrendous winter storm systems over the years, and can't remember ever being sidelined by any of them. In fact, I believe it was 1993, when Pittsburgh got hammered in a way not oft seen, that I actually made it into work right on time. My boss got in about an hour later, and realizing that the guy who wandered in to buy a Gore-Tex Jacket was most likely going to be our only sale of the day we closed up shop. Driving back into town was surreal. Post apocalyptic even. I was literaly the only car on the road. I decided to enjoy the crazy vibe and headed north of the city, flipping throught the radio dial to see if there was anything non meterological going on. Still not a damn car on the road. This is a pretty strange occorrance in the Burgh, as even those who have no skills behind the wheel of a car are usually crazed enough to make a run to the grocery store for the aforementioned Milk and Bread. I drove up towards Ross Park Mall only to see a completely empty parking lot on a saturday afternoon. Realizing that this was a sign of the apocalypse, or at least a hint that there might be good reason for the dearth of activity, I headed back home. Right as I get onto 279 into pittsburgh the guy on the radio explains to me why things are so quiet. Seems the State police have ordered all State roads closed. CLOSED! no traffic of any kind. I sort of chuckle to myself as I wonder how you can order no traffic on a road, and the enforce said order without breeching it yourself. 20 minutes later and I'm back in the cozy comforts of the old apartment, have enjoyed a large section of the metropolitan area all to myself for about 2 hours. A truly liberating experience, yet tinged with a hint of the eerie as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm not looking for a repeat of that this year as it would make the air travel that is integral to my holidays a freaking nightmare. Still I do love a good snowstorm.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?