<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2.24.2003

STILL ALIVE

Once again I have become distracted from my blogging duties. I even had a concerned e-mail from someone wondering if I had given it up. Such is not the case. I simply was up to my eyeballs in Smart Classroom Installations and other assorted nonsense. I also had the joy of starting out last tuesday at 3:30 in the am, taking Ann to the airport so she could go to Philly and Visit her sister, who is currently working her way through an MBA program at Wharton. Apparently this involves drinking much Guiness on thursdays, and I now feel a bit cheated, in that my Graduate school experience did not have scheduled drink fests as part of the curriculum. Guess it's prepping them for all those future 3 martini lunches they will undoubtedly have to suffer through. So Tuesday was spent in quite the fog, and I never really fully recovered until last night, just in time for Monday. rah. Not much else of import going on, doing some planning for the June trip to the beach with the fam, and really trying to figure out how to spend a grand on powertools in the most effective way I can. I have really reduced my intake of daily news, keeping NPR as my only source of non-tech related reporting for now. I find it's the only way I can keep from wanting to scream.

I did come across a story about a female college basketball player who has been waging her own social protest against our government by not saluting the flag when the national anthem is played prior to her teams games. She is pretty much ridiculed at every game played on the road (not much in the article mentioned the home crowd's response). People chanting for her to move to another country, all the usual small minded BS you expect from the ignorant. Sad thing is you know that a large portion of the audience for college basketball games are college students. The fact that they do not understand the value of free speech and expression is alarming. I don't expect them to agree with the young lady - that would be hoping for to much. But the outward hostility is depressing, and makes me less sure that we will be rid of GWB and his war mongering cronies in another 2 years. Apparently Americans are all too eager to start a series of events that may lead to a complete restructuring of the geo-political landscape. One that very well may not leave us at the top of the pecking order. The upside of this whole story, i think, is that it is proof that there still are student-athletes who are putting the "student" first.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?