<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2.12.2003

WE HATE IT WHEN OUR FRIENDS BECOME SUCCESSFUL

I will occasionally occupy my time with the pastime of Googling, which for those of you unfamiliar with the pursuit involves you searching Google with the name of an old friend, relative, potential date, or some random asshat you work with, and really want the full skinny on. I was searching the name of an old roomate of mine - one I lived with for 3 years actually, Todd. Todd was that rare kind of person whom you just know is destined for greatness, or an early grave, or both. I can still recall him up into the wee hours on a regular basis, locked in his bedroom hunkered over his powerbook, working on his writing. Todd was different from most aspiring writers that I have encounterd though, in two very major ways. For one he was an aspiring playwright, and secondly, he actually had some real talent. The kind of talent that when you are exposed to, you realize just how lacking in that very same talent you yourself are.

Todd, who was active in the same collegiate theater group that I was, happens to have been the youngest playwright produced by the Pittsburgh New Works Festival - based on bringing new artists in the region deserved exposure. While my feelings on that festival have been a bit tarnished over the years, at the time it was pretty impressive, and quite frankly still is. I recall him quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, as to why he found this success at an early age (19) - and his reply was pure genius, and perfectly honest; "I guess it's because I don't write about college kids fucking."

He stayed active in Pittsburgh's cultural scene, carrying on a stint with the Pittsburgh Poetry Forum, doing freelance Theatrical reviews for the Post Gazette, and eventually landing himself a gig as assistant to the artistic director of The Pittsburgh Public Theater. By the way he accomplished all of this at an age when most of us were spending way too much time at the bar, or partying, or working shitty retail jobs and trying to figure out what we wanted to do with our lives - Todd knew.

Ultimately Todd's path crossed with another Western Pennsylvania Playwright. One who had achieved a laudable amount of National and International acclaim - August Wilson. Wilson, who was in town to open his then latest work, King Hedley II, apparently hit it off so well with Todd, that he asked him to be his assistant as they toured and worked the show prior to it opening on Broadway. Todd being nobody's fool, accepted the offer, and was off on a round the country adventure that did indeed get him to the lights of that fabled theater district.

I last spoke to Todd right about that time he was in New York, a few years ago. And he sounded well, was planning on doing some more of his own writing, and surely soaking up the residual from what had to be the professional experience of a lifetime. I've Googled him from time to time, but all the mentions go back to the King Hedley II days, and prior. Until today, when I stumbled upon thisthis seems that Todd and August are a good match for each other, so much so, that Todd will be directing the famed playwright in a one man show. Pretty damn impressive for a guy not even 30 years old.

So while I'm not really jealous in any spiteful sense, I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little envy. Envy in that I know Todd is doing something that has been his goal since before I met him. A life in the Theater. Envy in that I still haven't found that place I want to be yet, and quite possibly never will. That's not Todd's fault though, and at least I know that for a short while, I was there to watch the artist as a young man. So while I still wrestle with the notion of dreams defered, at least I know they can be achieved.


go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?