<$BlogRSDUrl$>

3.11.2003

FEELIN' OH SO MANLY

Drove to Albuquerque on saturday, and since it did not involve going to the airport, I must have been shopping. Ann pulled a fast one on me by sneaking a detour to a fabric store before we hit our primary destination. Now I have a seriously high tolerance for hanging around in stores that most men would cringe at. I can shoe shop withe the heartiest of fetishists, I can hang out in the lingerie section of a department store without looking a)bored, b)perverted, c)a budding transvestite. I can even hack the Body SHop with nary a peep. Alas my achiles heel has been exposed. Going into a fabric store for some reason makes me insane almost instantly. It's not that I have no interest in fabric, although I have little. There is just a vibe that crushes my psyche in a most cruel and effortless fashion. Top this off by the fact that I know a return trip is a given, and the hour or so I spent milling around like a broke kid at an arcade, and I'm sure you can sympathize just a little.

Lowes was the reason we got in the car in the first place though, and while at times frustrating, it ended up pretty well. Problem one was that we were there to get some very specific items to redo our walk in closet. Several weeks earlier, Ann and I had even taken the time to visit the Closetmaid site, and spec out all the shelving and other various do-dads to make the space we have as usable as it could be. (It was at this time that I realized that my walk in closet is roughly the exact same size as my old bedroom when I lived on Wharton St., I'm not sure if that's cool or really sad) The closetmaid site is pretty straightforward, and after a few false starts we had a handy parts list ready to take to Lowes (as closetmaid does not sell direct) Sadly, there is no guarantee that any retailer will stock everything that Closetmaid makes, so long story short - we scrapped our custom design, got a couple of pre fab kits, and will see where that takes us. Closetmaid - do yourself a favor, and open a freaking e-store! On top of this closet makeover there is still the matter of the shoe room - that is a room devoted entirely to Ann's shoes. Which I will be building all the fixtures for, on my own. I require tools. Power tools. Power Tools that say "I know what the hell this thing is for". So along with closet fixtures I am now the proud owner of a Makita 4 piece 18v cordless tool kit. 6 1/2" circular saw, reciprocating saw, power drill with tourque ring and keyless chuck, and a handy worklight. I also picked up a 1/3 sheet sander, and will be looking for a router, jigsaw, and table saw in the very near future. Most would not picture me the handyman type, but I have to say that the home owning thing infects you in a way that defies description, yet demands that you do some shit yourself. Hopefully I will be able to keep all of my fingers attached along the way.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?