<$BlogRSDUrl$>

3.05.2003

MORE EVIDENCE

I've been telling people that we are in the decline of our civilization for a long time. I secretly hope that I'm wrong. I've been proven wrong plenty of times, so I have stake in being right about this one. Sadly, of late, people have been giving me way too much ammunition for my argument though. Not so surprisingly the ammunition has come in the form of e-mail. Now I'm not blaming the individuals who sent them to me. I realize that not everyone is as paranoid as me, and so do not scrutinize every sentence that passes before them. But after receiving one particular forward 3 times in one week, I have to mention it. It is so riddled with misinformation that I have to rant. Let me put it to you bluntly - if you get an e-mail telling you how Oliver North warned us about Osama Bin Laden in 1987 - you can safely delete it without reading any more of it. It's a crock of shit. It takes certain events and twists them into a nice little fairy tale (with a not so subtle anti-clinton administration tone to it) If you do find yourself overwhelmingly curious to read it, keep the following in mind. :

1. There was no mention of Osama Bin Laden in any of the transcripts of the Iran Contra Hearings, this is likely because in 1987 Bin Laden was a "freedom fighter" in Afghanistan fighting the Soviet Occupation of that country, backed by CIA training and US funds.

2. Al Gore, who is attributed as having questioned North, did not - he was not part of the Iran Contra Hearings, as he did not sit on the relevant Senate committees.

3. Mohammed Atta & Mahmoud Atta are not the same person. Mahmoud is the alias used by the man who was found guilty of the bus bombing, and was not even in custody when the Oslo Peace Accords took effect.

Here's a hint. plug some key sentences of your questionable e-mail into Google, look at a bunch of the various results that you get and see if any of them corroborate the original content of the message. My hunch is, most of the info you find will refute it. You'll be a whol lot smarter for it, and I'll have one less research assignment to do.

The above scenario doesn't bother me nearly as much as the following e-mail I received:

Subject: Stamps

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of PanAm Flight 103?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the military Barracks in Saudi Arabia?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE?

REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11/01?

REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks?


Now, the United States Postal Service REMEMBERS and HONORS the EID MUSLIM
holiday season with a commemorative first class holiday postage stamp!

I strongly urge you to REMEMBER to adamantly and vocally BOYCOTT this stamp
when purchasing stamps at the post office. To use this stamp would be a slap
in the face to all those AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this
stamp honors.

I also strongly urge you to pass this along to every Patriotic AMERICAN you
know, whether by email or otherwise.


I wanted to respnd to what I am sure is a person who considers themself a GOOD CHRISTIAN with something like this:

Remember the CHRISTIAN attack on the Jews During the Spanish Inquisition?
Remember the CHRISTIAN attack on the Moors during te Crusades?
Remember the CHRISTIAN attack on the Jews during the Hollocaust?

I know, I'm oversimplifying. That's the point so is the sender, or whomever wrote the message originally. It's the kind of small minded thinking that's going to get this country in a whole hell of a lot of trouble very soon.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?