<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.30.2004

YOU JUST MADE THAT UP

Well those crazy kids over in Vatican City have finally made it clear as to why we are suffering from AIDS to this very day - They call it an '"immunodeficiency" of moral values' .

Please, can someone who had been to church for something other than a wedding or a funeral in the last 10 years what the fuck that is supposed to mean? OK, truth told, I know what they are driving at, but honestly I think the Vatican truly needs to clean house before they can expact anyone with half a brain to take their edicts concerning 'moral values' even half seriously.

Got a Priest who has a history of sexual misconduct? Heck, just move him to another parish, and for heaven's sake, keep it on the low down.
Doing some recruiting in the third world, where AIDS is particularly rampant, and don't want the kids getting funny ideas about controling procreation? Tell 'em condoms don't work.

Articles like this remind me why I have given up on my Catholic heritage, and religion in general. I'm not saying people with faith in the church are wrong in their beliefs, but it's well past due for the flock to get the shepherd back on track or move on to something a little less hypocritical.

I'm not even going to tackle the actual claim of the article, since it is patently silly.

go and tell me all about it
Comments:
I think you are jumping the gun to quickly regarding the church. From the article.

Along with "the observance of the virtue of abstinence", he said the prices of antiretroviral drugs should be made as cheap as possible and called on industrialised nations to help fight AIDS in the worst-hit countries.

The Vatican's top health official also said prejudice and discrimination against AIDS victims have to be eradicated.
"For greater efficiency in the fight against HIV/AIDS... all forms of discrimination in the treatment of those with the illness must be eliminated," he said.
The abstinance is just the usual from the church but coming out saying that the prices of the drugs needs to be lowered, we need to pay direct attention to the crisis in Africa, former Soviet Block and China and discrimination against those with AIDS needs to end is the same mantra of morality that is being presented by Mandela's AIDS advocacy group, 46664.I whole heartedly agree that the Church has to watch their verbiage, and '"immunodeficiency" of moral values' is just plain stupid, but the main crux is the rest of what they mentioned as the moral issues which would actually following the social justice dogma of the church not just refraining from sex.
 
Some good points DJH, I did jump on the whole moral values thing, which is probably more cursory to the real issue. I guess this is my real beef:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/aids/story/0,7369,1059068,00.html

To say that sex before marriage is a sin. Fine
To say that using a condom is a sin. Fine
To say that condoms don't protect against AIDS. I'm not so fine with that. Is lying a sin? I always thought so. I'm inclined to take the W.H.O.'s word on this one (though they are worthy of scrutiny as well).

Again, I have been out of the religious loop for a very very long time. As it is my lone touchstone as far as theology is concerned, I tend to take issue with the Catholic Church more than the other franchises out there.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?