<$BlogRSDUrl$>

1.24.2006

Because You Asked...

...well at least one of you did.

Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh, it is not surprising that I have had certain relationships with many of the local Sporting Franchises. In the 70's when most of the the Golden Triangle was obsessing over the establishment of Dynasty, I was more taken by the Pirates - I even was fortunate enough to attend a game of the World Series in '79. Alas, baseball soon seemed more of a circus than the american passtime, and my enjoyment of the sport diminished until I realized that I detest the sport. While the Pirates flirted with a chance at greatness, and the Steelers awaited the retirement of Emporer Chaz Noll, I delighted in the triumphs of our Flightless Birds, and the Magic that was Mario on Ice. Of course the NHL went on a spending spree right around that time, the long term effects of which were only felt last year, when the leauge decided a year without play was better than any alternative. Haven't watched a game begining to end since the mid to late 90's. Through all of the distractions though, sundays in fall were reserved for the true black and gold of the Steelers. While my interest waned when the good times went bad with Baseball and Hockey, Football was another animal altogether. Somehow even the worst football game was better than the best of the rest. Fortunately, the Steelers have not been at their worst in quite some time.

Their performance of late has been so good that the black and gold clad Steelers will find themselves in the rareified air of Detroit this Feb. for that Leaugue's championship game - The Super Bowl.

I've been lucky enough to see Super Bowl victories, Stanley Cup Victories, and even a World Series victory during my time in Pittsburgh - as a fan, I know I'm very lucky.

So in just a short while I will be rewarded for my long term devotion to the Steelers. For even as the Penguins and Pirates tried to gain top billing from the pigskin set, I realize that Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil (I helped us blow a perfectly good super bowl) O'Donnel, and even Kordel Stewart, on any given Sunday mean more to me than any other Pittsburgh Team. To have suffered through the bad seasons, the good seasons gone wrong, and the last minute heartbreaks, makes XL all that XLer.

To my team, and the team of so many others, win or lose, thanks for another spectacular season. I don't usually rate an individual over an entire team, but damn boys, win this one for Jerome, and you get to go along for the ride too.

go and tell me all about it
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?