<$BlogRSDUrl$>

6.26.2006

I HAVE PLANS FOR THE FUTURE

Yes they're futuristic plans
Move out west and buy some desert lands
Or maybe up north just past Alaska
You know nothing of this if they ask-ya
- Clutch "Escape From the Prison Planet"

Amusing that I should find this song in heavy rotation of late as the new contenders in the "Where the hell are we moving next" contest are vetted. Ann made the trek to Anchorage solo, as the airfare was just to prohibitive to our beach plans. Besides, I said it before - her career drives the bus. She's in her field for the long term, and the Uniformed Services are ultimately about career comittment. I also think she should be in the best possible work enviornment, of which her current one is not. She gave me the highlights:
Sunset was at 11:30pm, sunrise 4:15am. Kooky, imagine the reverse, and you've got it all figured out. She stopped in the local Wal-Mart to seek ATM goodness, and said that at 10:30 at night the place was hopping like it was mid-afternoon. Apparently people get pretty manic in the summertime.
She saw no Moose, but did spy a Black bear cub. Anchorage is currently fineing residents who neglect their garbage to the tune of $110 so I may have to give some consideration into getting one of these,
Overall, the site looks good, with a lot of long term potential. Definitely a plus.

This past weekend we drove down to Phoenix to check out their hospital. Well rather Ann checked it out, and I slept through the Germany / Sweden world cup match. Actually, that's not tru I actually saw the relevant parts, as I only fell asleep after Germany scored it's second goa and 11 minutes or so. Phoenix also passed muster as well, though after craving an urban landscape for so long, I think I may be a little too "East Coast" to be able to settle for the endless subdivisions, and nauseatingly gridlike roads. Go figure.

You might be guessing by now, that Anchorage would be the front runner, and you would indeed be spot on. Sight unseen, I just have a better vibe about the whole situation, and after 6 years living in a town of 20,000 maybe Anchorage is a more manageable population for my stunted senses at around 200,000. Only time will tell though, regardless of what we want, they have to want us too.

go and tell me all about it
Comments:
RE: Bear Suits
You'll have to check "oat" the movie Project Grizzly... It's all a-boat Troy Hurtubise and the earlier versions of his suits. Apparently the Ursus Mark I was made mostly of hockey goalie pads. He's an interesting study.
RE: Alaska v Phoenix
I wish you well with the decision making and hope I can come visit ya when yinz decide.
 
Sweet! You would effectively be one state away! Though I think it takes 28 hours to get there...
 
it's more like 50 hours away driving, but only a 3 hour plane ride!
 
Hey I hear you don't need my bear-bell after all. Let me know where that painting gets hung... just know critters up here don't dry the same way. Though I have friends teaching entomology here and they're supplying me with a variety of insects - expanded subject matter. Laura B.
 
hey curt!

thanks for the call the other night. sorry to bug you here but not sure what sort of communications you have access to right now.

I placed my trust in technology and failed to save your number so call again when you can. Should have plenty of time early next week for a chat.

--e
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?